RE: GNU Classpath 0.13, ..., 1.0

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: RE: GNU Classpath 0.13, ..., 1.0
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:33:23 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 21:56 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Weekend is almost over here, but no release yet. Sorry. My main goal,
> getting the GNU JAXP merger as complete as possible, has been done. The
> examples and the build problems have not been updated yet though.
>
> I'll try to make a real release with an update NEWS entry in the next
> couple of days. Feel free to check in new things that were already
> discussed (like the XMLEn/Decoder), small stuff and obvious bug fixes in
> the meantime. But try to avoid large changes.

A little status update.
We probably have a solution for the build problem caused my the huge
amount of new code of the generated LocaleInformation classes (compiling
those takes a lot of memory and makes the glibj.zip file much larger).
By rewriting the Hashtables into String constants we have smaller
classes and make the amount of (generated) code much less. But after the
release we really should not include generated java source files, but
read the information from data files.

I should have more clearly said that I consider runtime/platform
interface large changes since that requires people to adapt their
runtimes before they can resume hacking/testing the rest of the core
classes again. Sorry for the miscommunication Archie.

After we have solved the build issue tomorrow I'll try to make a real
release by updating the NEWS and documentation/examples for the 0.13
developer snapshot. If anything unexpected happens I will make extra
time on Thursday to properly test everything. So expect the release in
tomorrow or thursday.

Please don't add large patches (like the great AWT GTK+ Peer Thread
simplification I just saw on the libgcj list). They will go in soon
after the release. Promised.

I'll try to keep the code freeze as short as possible since I know how
annoying those are. But it is good to have some "release points" so that
people have something to fall back on instead of always having to work
from a moving CVS target.

If people have suggestions for the NEWS file please let me know.