Re: since, status and specnote tags

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: since, status and specnote tags
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:30:30 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 12. Januar 2005 00:28 schrieb Robert Schuster:
> Hi,
> what is our policy regarding the since, status and specnote tags? I
> have seen @status entries being replaced by @specnote and thought
> they should not be used any more but then I found them again in
> newer classes. That leads my to following questions:
>
> What should @specnote or @status describe?

@specnote explain when the API or the semantics changed from earlier
version of JDK, e.g. a protected method became public in a newer
version of the JDK.

We don't really use the @status tag. In some classes it describes what
JDK the class is compatible too.

> Is any of them considered deprecated and should be replaced by the
> other whenever seen?

No, they have different meanings as we use them.

> Regarding the @since tag: Should we strive to version every class
> and method?

We only need to add this tag when the JDK docs has a "Since: " entry.

Michael
--
Homepage: http://www.worldforge.org/