Re: Which standard do you follow?

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Which standard do you follow?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:43:16 +0100

C. Brian Jones wrote:
So I'm poking around http://java.debian.net/ wiki and I have to say I
still don't understand what it is the upstream source provider should do
with reference to scripts and libraries and jars that would be
acceptable for everyone.  It still seems like I have to pick a scheme,
with reference just to finding a VM, that will only work on one
distribution or packaging scheme for java libraries and applications. Anyone else thinking about this? With Debian our JNI libraries should
be somewhere else, the .jar file (or .zip file I guess) should be
versioned correctly and if we ever do install scripts for common tools
or something then those have special requirements.  I probably should
ask the cojapas list but I thought I'd start here.

The trouble with standards is that there are so many to pick from. :)

The Cojapas list (and the wiki) were started in order to create a forum for various distribution-dependant java packaging efforts to see what sort of, and how much cooperation could be achieved in the short term between those packaging efforts. There has been a good deal of time spent on getting to know each other's requirements and wishes, dicussing a few ideas on how to go about it, and then people got busy with other things. :)

Given that free runtimes were mostly busy catching up on the library side last year, and will probably be doing more of the same for a goopd part of this year as well, I wouldn't expect that to play the leading, integrative role in actually coming to a 'standard' yet. The LSB is looking into Java, though, so we should make sure that the LSB group, that's very favourably looking into GNU Classpath, takes that task over and provides to be the unifying force that brings us closer to shared conventions.

cheers,
dalibor topic