Re: generics-branch - up-to-date and buildable?

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: generics-branch - up-to-date and buildable?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:43:18 +0000

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 13:48, Stuart Ballard wrote:
> I'm trying to get the generics branch to build with ecj on ikvm.
> Unfortunately I'm running into all sorts of problems.
>
> The first class of problems were nice and obvious: Changes were needed
> to IKVM's implementations of various java.lang.reflect and VM* classes
> to match the new generic signatures in 1.5 (interestingly, this
> applied to VMClass and Constructor but not to Field or Method - I
> guess the work in that area isn't complete yet). I was able to at
> least stub methods with the right signatures easily here by comparison
> to vm/reference.
>
> The second class of problems were less trivial: it seems that there
> are some fairly significant differences between ikvm's VM* class
> implementations (based, presumably, on the requirements of Classpath's
> HEAD) and what the generics branch expects. Some of the trivial
> differences (VMFile.caseSensitive versus VMFile.IS_CASE_SENSITIVE)
> were easy to address, but eventually there were so many that I gave
> up. Is the generics branch lagging behind HEAD in terms of VM
> interface? Or is IKVM running with an older classpath version?
>
> Finally, the problem that led me to give up entirely and email the
> list was that when I tried to build without accounting for IKVM at
> all, but just using vm/reference, it *still* didn't build. Now I got
> errors in AbstractList claiming that its ListIterator type didn't
> provide implementations of the right generic method signatures
> (specifically, it didn't provide add(E) and set(E) methods). Is the
> generics branch buildable at all currently?
>
> Stuart.

With current CVS, I can now build the generics branch with ecj.  What I
haven't tried yet is using this as the base for a VM.  It will allow a
simple enumeration test case to run with JavaVM/current HEAD classpath
and the new classes in the classpath (presumably it just reads
java.lang.Enum from there).

As regards the generics branch and HEAD, the two are more out of sync
than simply the generics additions; the rest of the branch is still at
the state it was in when split.  I plan to merge the changes on HEAD
across, if possible, as the next task with this branch.

Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint) attachments.

No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

"We've all been part of the biggest beta test the world has ever known --
Windows"
-- Victor Wheatman, Gartner