Re: Classpath 1.5 API coverage (was: javax.management)

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: Classpath 1.5 API coverage (was: javax.management)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:13:45 +0000

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 10:23, Paul Jenner wrote:
> Hi Andrew.
>
> On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 21:07, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> > Currently, GNU Classpath HEAD has 65.94% binary compatibility with JDK 1.5
>
> I saw a thread about Japitools and 1.5 but did not follow closely. Are
> there Japitools Classpath vs. 1.5 results yet (if not, how did you get
> the above figure) and, if so, are they posted anywhere?
>
> Just interested :-)
>
> Paul

Results for this aren't available publicly yet.  I simply downloaded
japitools myself last night, and ran a comparison between JDK 1.5 and
current Classpath CVS HEAD, which is where I obtained the quoted
figure.  Primarily, I just wanted to see if it worked; as there are very
limited byte-code changes (the language changes are all done at the
compiler and library level), I had a feeling it would and was proved
correct.

The published JAPI results (http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/) still
only go up to 1.4, and do appear to need updated (last Classpath scan
was 26/12/2004).  It would be great to see 1.5 comparisons added for
both Classpath HEAD and the new generics branch (which should hopefully
be in sync in a few minutes).

I did get a few errors when japizing 1.5, but these don't appear to be
related to 1.5 changes (they don't appear to use any of these features,
while branches such as java.util and java.lang which have major changes
scan fine).  Stuart or someone else may want to look into this, the
following all throw NullPointerExceptions:

javax.management.MBeanAttributeInfo: java.lang.NullPointerException
javax.management.Notification: java.lang.NullPointerException
javax.management.ObjectName: java.lang.NullPointerException
javax.management.modelmbean.InvalidTargetObjectTypeException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
javax.management.modelmbean.ModelMBeanAttributeInfo:
java.lang.NullPointerException
javax.management.modelmbean.ModelMBeanConstructorInfo:
java.lang.NullPointerException
javax.management.modelmbean.ModelMBeanInfoSupport:
java.lang.NullPointerException
javax.management.modelmbean.ModelMBeanNotificationInfo:
java.lang.NullPointerException
javax.management.modelmbean.ModelMBeanOperationInfo:
java.lang.NullPointerException
Japize javax.management.modelmbean.XMLParseException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
Japize javax.management.relation.MBeanServerNotificationFilter:
java.lang.NullPointerException
Japize javax.management.relation.RelationNotification:
java.lang.NullPointerException
Japize javax.management.relation.RelationTypeSupport:
java.lang.NullPointerException
javax.management.relation.Role: java.lang.NullPointerException
Japize javax.management.relation.RoleInfo:
java.lang.NullPointerException
Japize javax.management.relation.RoleResult:
java.lang.NullPointerException
Japize javax.management.relation.RoleUnresolved:
java.lang.NullPointerException
Japize javax.security.auth.kerberos.KerberosKey:
java.lang.NullPointerException

These don't affect our percentage score, as GNU Classpath doesn't
implement these packages at this point anyway.  The management errors
seem particularly odd, as JMX existed outside the JDK prior to 1.5.  I
guess they just hit some obscure japitools bug.
--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint) attachments.

No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

"We've all been part of the biggest beta test the world has ever known --
Windows"
-- Victor Wheatman, Gartner