Re: generics-branch - up-to-date and buildable? - The "I'm Finished!' ma

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: generics-branch - up-to-date and buildable? - The "I'm Finished!' mail
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:49:14 +0000

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 17:08, Stuart Ballard wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:01:59 +0000, Andrew John Hughes
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Great -- please let the list know how it goes.  As I say, I haven't yet
> > tested it against a VM.
>
> I will, but I'll be building against vm/reference myself until the
> branch is sunc to HEAD; I don't feel like regressing ikvm's VM classes
> to the state of the generics branch when the generics branch will be
> catching up shortly :)
>
> > Sure -- I'll probably make a start this evening, and you should see the
> > patch/commit post(s) when it starts... (although I think I may avoid
> > posting the patch, due to size)
>
> Sounds good - I look forward to the results. I probably won't see the
> posts because I'm not subscribed to the commit list due to volume, so
> an "I'm finished" notification to the main list (or me personally)
> would still be appreciated :)
>
> Stuart.

Just managed to build the fully-merged branch cleanly (i.e. with a
completely fresh checkout), so you can build it if you add ecj in as the
compiler.  Personally, I just add:

ECJ = java -mx256M -cp /videos/ecj/build
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.batch.Main

JAVAC = $(ECJ) -1.5 -warn:-deprecation -nowarn -proceedOnError
-bootclasspath '' -classpath $(compile_classpath) -d . @classes

to the appropriate places in lib/Makefile.  No doubt someone will now
tell me there was a configure option but oh well...  Note the build I do
is with -nowarn and so no doubt there are lots of those things yet to go
too.  JAPI tools is also pretty poor at showing up the changes, because,
of course, generics don't make it to bytecode.  The generics-branch
manages 66.33%, largely because java.lang is now back on a decent 91.28%
rather than the lowly 85% shown by HEAD.  Hopefully, some of these
changes can be merged in the opposite direction to HEAD.

Now, it would be great to see other compilers like gcjx building this
too ;)

Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint) attachments.

No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

"We've all been part of the biggest beta test the world has ever known --
Windows"
-- Victor Wheatman, Gartner