Re: [sdljava-users] Free Ja*a fans rejoicing

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: [sdljava-users] Free Ja*a fans rejoicing
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:52:03 +0000

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 17:09 -0500, Ivan Z. Ganza wrote:
> This is sweet!  Thanks for making is possible.  Its nice to see the
> OpenGL binding working there ;-)
>
> -Ivan/
>
> Robert Schuster wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > OpenGL and SDL coolness is finally available on Free Java runtimes:
> >
> > http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~rschuste/java/classpath/sdljava-jamvm-1.png
> > <http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/%7Erschuste/java/classpath/sdljava-jamvm-1.png>
> >

> > The interesting bit is that this was made possible by indirect
> > collaboration:
> > - Ivan revived JSDL
> > - Michael fixed bugs in GNU Classpath's directbuffer implementation
> > - Robert Lougher added GetDirectBufferAddress support for JamVM
> >
> > If you look carefully you can see that SDLMixer plays an ogg from
> > locarecords.
> >
> > Thanks to all who have made this possible.
> >
> > cu
> > Robert

Can I ask how the OpenGL binding is done here (if anyone knows)?
The ones I've seen rely on Sun's horrible AWT native interface (the one
we have to reverse-engineer), and I'd be interested to know if there's
an alternative way of achieving this.  At a guess, I'd say it's just
managed by SDL?

As part of a course on 3D graphics I did, the lecturer supplied his own
OpenGL binding and it must be one of the worst abominations I've ever
seen.  Not only did it rely on Sun's AWT interface to operate, he only
provided the native code in binary Windows DLL form.  Suffice to say, it
was easier to write the code in C/C++, and ironically, ended up being
more portable.

Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.

No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

"We've all been part of the biggest beta test the world has ever known
--
Windows"
-- Victor Wheatman, Gartner