VM-Writers: Order of class initialization

From: Peter Werno
Subject: VM-Writers: Order of class initialization
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:13:47 +0100 (CET)

Hello everyone,

I am slowly getting the impression that I'm doing something wrong here. I
have the VM create a new object of class "VMThread" (and subsequently
Thread) which also leads to the initialisation of the Thread class. This
initialization will subsequently start various other class initializers.
To make my life a little easier, I have classes initialized immediately
after they have been loaded.

My problem now is that the System class's initialization of the stdout
stream fails. At the moment it calls a lot of java/security/xxx stuff and
finally ends up at a null pointer exception in
java/util/Hashtable.hash(Ljava/lang/ObjectL)I
which leads to the "makeStandardOutputStream" method in VMSystem not being
finished and therefore System.out not being assigned.

Maybe I need to initialize the classes in a certain order? If so, do you
have any information about this requirement? How about the Thread
initialization? Am I doing this correctly (i.e. first VMThread then
Thread?)

Many thanks,

Peter