Re: Modules names and other details for new classpath bug product

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: Modules names and other details for new classpath bug product
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:32:26 -0500

David Daney wrote:

My understanding is that you want to integrate the libgcj and classpath bug databases with but still maintain the current situation with the actual code where there are separate code bases.

How would a bug be marked that is fixed in libgcj and not fixed in classpath?

In general, that shouldn't happen. libgcj developers should be in the habit of committing such fixes simultaniously to classpath. In the rare case where for some technical reason a fix can't be committed to the classpath repository, this could be handled with something like the reported-against/known-to-work/known-to-fail fields in GCC.

It sounds a bit questionable to merge the bug tracking system before we have a single merged code base.

I don't think so. The vast majority of the code is merged. The vast majority of class library bugs are applicable to both libgcj and classpath. There may be a few issues to overcome, but it will be much more convenient to have a single combined bug database. For one thing, if someone does file a bug against libgcj that is really a generic classpath bug, it should be very easy to "move" the bug upstream just by re-categorizing it.

Bryce