Re: OT: Eclipse Additions

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: OT: Eclipse Additions
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:34:07 -0600

Andrew Overholt wrote:
> Now comes the fun part:  making Eclipse better for your needs.  We're
> interested in hearing what you think would make Eclipse a more useful tool
> for you in your work with GNU Classpath.  What kind of things annoy you?

OK, I'll bite :-) These are small issues but here goes for what it's worth.
I don't actually use Eclipse (yet) but work with other people who do,
so this is an uninformed outsider's perspective ("someday" I'll switch)..

I work in an environment where some people use Eclipse while other
old timers like myself still use vi. This causes problems when the
Eclipse editor does things "unexpected" with source files.

1. Tabs vs. spaces (see http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html)
    If it's not already, please make the default to NOT put tab characters
    in files (put spaces instead). I think this is the default anyway for
    the Java editor but not the XML editor (XMLBuddy?) ?

2. Blank lines: Please make it so that a blank line doesn't contain
    any whitespace characters on it.. if it does, vi's '{' and '}' jump
    commands don't work right, it's wasteful, and it also creates
    unnecessary repository differences. I've mostly seen this with
    the XML editor.

3. "No newline at end of file". The XML editor seems to forget to put
    newlines at the end of files. This causes unnecessary repository
    differences with the ugly "No newline at end of file" message.
    (vi always adds a newline).

Thanks!
-Archie

*
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
the original message.
*