Re: OT: Eclipse Additions

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: OT: Eclipse Additions
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:58:57 -0800

Tom Tromey wrote:
* Make sure code formatting can complete handle Classpath's style.
  In 3.0 this wasn't true.  3.1M4 looked better here, but perhaps not
  perfect (I didn't try exhaustively).

Not only that, but add a pre-defined "GNU formatting" style.
So you just select that in your preferences, and you don't have
to manually tweak dozens of options.  Until that is done, we can
have a standard "GNU Java style" template that that people can
import, but it's better to have it be builtin.  The biggest reason
(besids convenience) is that it is easier to update the the style;
contra-wise, it's probably easier to update the Eclipse formatting
engine and not have it break the GNU style, since you can add new
style options to a builtin style without breaking things.

We might consider deprecating using of tabs, since they cause
portability problems: people using Windows IDEs are used to
"one indentation level = one tab stop" and then setting the
display width of a tab as a personal display preference.
The way we indent using a mix of tabs and spaces isn't
compatible with this model.

Perhaps there should be two stanadrd GNU styles: "GNU, with tabs"
and "GNU, without tabs".
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/