Re: OT: Eclipse Additions

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: OT: Eclipse Additions
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:18:21 -0800

Andrew Overholt wrote:

Now comes the fun part:  making Eclipse better for your needs.

One problem I have is using Eclipse in a project with complex
dependencies, which needs Ant (or make).  E.g. generated
source files or where one tool must be built before other
parts are built.

I'm thinking specifically of Kawa (http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa)
development.  This build a compiler, which is then used to compile
files in Scheme to .class files, and they're all part of the resulting
run-time environment and distributed as a single jar.

Of course I know Eclipse as a lot of Ant support, but it seems to
be  separate sub-system, not integrated into the default "build"
action.

The problem may be with my lack of understanding, or how I've set
things up, but what I seem to need is a "Java Ant project": when
I edit a file, and it wants to rebuild, it should use the Ant
dependencies; not just try to willy-nilly do the equivalent of
javac `find . -name '*.java'`
Compiler messages compiling via Ant should be handled smoothly,
the same way they are done when building without Ant.  Etc.

When Eclipse creates a Java project, and it sees a top-level
build.xml, it should (after asking) Do The Right Thing to set
up a "Java Ant-based project" rather than a plain "Java project".

If I'm doing things wrong, I'd very much appreciate a "cookbook"
for how this is supposed to be done.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/