doing the TCK dance with Sun: step one

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: doing the TCK dance with Sun: step one
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 02:48:47 +0100

Hi all,

after talking a lot with Sun's Onno Kluyt and Bruno Souza from Javali during the runtime summit in Boston, I decided to see how honest Sun was with their claims of opening up the compatibility test suite for Java 5 and allowing a free software implementation of the runtime and the class libraries to be compatible with Sun's implementation.

I'm mostly interested in having access to TCK to be able to more easily spot and fix the incomatibilities between Kaffe/Classpath that prevent nice free software written in Java from working out of the box with nice free runtimes. So I expect the results of such an effort to end up being helpful to all free runtimes, rather than just Kaffe, by making it easier to run more free software out of the box on GNU Classpath.

Alas, I have done the first step, and applied for 'qualified individual' access to the TCK for Java 5. The next step is a decision from the TCK scholarship board about the validity of my application.

The next step, then, will be to negotiate the actual terms with Sun. I have no idea at the moment what the actual terms of access to the TCK Sun will propose to me, so I can't say what the collaboration mode is going to look like. I also don't know if Sun will actually propose acceptable terms, but I guess that, if they are seriously interested in compatibility, they will. I'll keep you updated as this application moves on.

I've put up my application online on my blog on advogato[1], and I'll talk about all this during the Kaffe talk at FOSDEM.

Don't put your hopes too high, though. Sun's TCK is not free software, so it is not a suitable replacement for Mauve, the free software testing kit. Don't wait for Sun to grant access to their TCK on non-discriminatory terms, that might never happen. Please continue hacking on Mauve and making it better than the non-free test suite in every respect, just like GNU Classpath does the same for class libraries.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://www.advogato.org/person/robilad/diary.html?start=64