Re: CORBA

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: CORBA
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:17:10 -0500

I made a blog entry back in December that's very relevant to this
discussion, where I investigated the license on JacORB in particular.

http://sab39.dev.netreach.com/Blog/12?vobId=129&pm=18

The problem is that it seems that most ORBs, including Free ones,
consider the source code provided by the OMG to be "free enough" and
don't bother reimplementing it. However, this source is under a
"freely redistributable but unmodifiable" license, which isn't free
enough for Classpath by a long shot.

Unfortunately, as I pointed out in my blog entry, this code comprises
100% of the public APIs in the org.omg namespaces...

My conclusion at the time, which AFAIK still stands: "JacORB may still
be very useful to back up the CORBA packages with some actual
implementation, but as far as API coverage is concerned, it seems
we're on our own."

Stuart.

--
http://sab39.dev.netreach.com/