Re: List of GNU Classpath compatible programs

From: Chris Pickett
Subject: Re: List of GNU Classpath compatible programs
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:14:11 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
I'm wondering why the 'description' is the last entry where I expected it
to be the first, just below the title of the product.  Any problem with me
changing that?
I'd like to make it more of a single-line advertisement for the
application as well; this makes developers of that application more
willing to post it to our site themselves.  Something like:
Soot
* Soot is a (LGPL) Java Bytecode compiler framework which can be uses to
  optimize or inspect class files, as well as a framework to develop
  optimizations or transformations on Java bytecode.

Each product being mentioned could do with a (small) overview of what
parts of classpath it uses.  Minimum JRE version required and/or what
parts we had to debug a lot to get it to work.

What do you think?

I think go for it man, it's a wiki! As long as you're not destroying or submitting false or overly verbose info, nobody's going to mind. The idea is each person contributes as much as they have energy for.

If this is going to scale (and if people show a lot of interest), some kind of queryable database would be best (with different categories, etc.). I mean, there ARE thousands of Java programs that we want to run, right? ;) But a wiki is enough for starters.

I think this is a really worthwhile effort. At Sable we always have a terrible problem coming up with good benchmarks for papers, we're _still_ using SPECjvm98... and it might also provide a good motivation to build a (shared?) regression test-suite for VM's.

A License category with the free license specified if it exists would be good, with none (i.e. copyright law applies), non-free, and public domain given otherwise in this field.

Chris