Re: JDialog weirdness - what to do?

From: Thomas Zander
Subject: Re: JDialog weirdness - what to do?
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:45:13 +0100

On Friday 04 March 2005 01:57, Robert Schuster wrote:
> Now, I have two questions:
> 1) Who codes such crap and are we really really forced to adopt this? (I
> propose setting the value to DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE if the argument is
> invalid. )

Actually; the not throwing an exception makes sense from some perverted
point of view;  if future versions define another item then you can still
_set_ that item on an older version without getting an exception.
It just won't do what you expect it to do.  Which in this case isn't halve
bad.
I would guess that what you set will be what you get; no matter how bad the
value is.
I do agree that the implementation should do a switch like option in this
spirit:
switch(n) {  case HIDE_ON_CLOSE: hide; break;
case DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE:
default:
   // do nothing
}

> 2) How could I test in mauve whether pressing the close button of a
> JDialog has no effect?

isShowing() ?
isDisplayable()?

Note that you need a SecurityManager that forbids exit if you want to test
the EXIT_ON_CLOSE. Not worth it IMO.

--
Thomas Zander