Value for os.arch on Intel

From: Robert Lougher
Subject: Value for os.arch on Intel
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:52:56 +0000

Hi List,

When implementing the default properties in JamVM I used uname for
os.arch (and os.name and os.version).  I was aware at the time that
this gives different results on Intel when compared to Sun's JDK :

uname will give i486, i586 or i686
JDK will give i386 for all

I decided not to do anything about it until somebody complained, with
a real-world application requiring JDK behaviour.  Well, somebody has
(Robert Schuster, with an application that constructs the library name
from os.arch).

I notice that gij also uses uname, and gives i686 on an Athlon (at
least gij 3.4.2 does).  I think it's a "no-brainer"  -- if
applications depend on it, we need JDK behaviour and I'm changing
JamVM.  Any opinions?

Thanks,

Rob.