Re: javax.swing.text.rtf.RTFEditorKit

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: javax.swing.text.rtf.RTFEditorKit
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:03:04 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 19:34 +0100, Roman Kennke wrote:
> When I have this ready, I will include both
> the antlr sources and the generated .java files in the classpath source
> tree, so that we have no additional dependency. The question here is, is
> it necessary that the generated .java files are formatted and commented
> just like normal source files? This can easily become a maintainence
> nightmare... What are your opinions?

I am a bit afraid of the use of various/different parser generators for
the core classes. If at all possible we should use the same one for all
parsers. For gnu/xml/xpath/XPathParser.y we are currently using jay it
is written in C and so is less of a bootstrap issue. (It is also used by
mono btw). For gjdoc we are using antlr, but that can be build after all
core classes have been build so there is less of a bootstrap problem.

If we check in generated source code (which is really discouraged) there
must be a configure option to generate the files from their source. See
the --with-jay option or --enable-regen-headers for an examples. (This
last one can be removed when gcjh 4.0 is in more wide use, but is
currently needed since there is no released version of gjch or another
header generator that can correctly generate jni headers for all our
native files.)

It would be nice if the parser generator added the comments of the
grammar definition to the generated file.