Re: CORBA

From: Brian Sumner
Subject: Re: CORBA
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:56:55 -0500

Hey,
Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been buried at my day job for a couple of weeks. I picked up here in the thread since most of the later messages had to do with licensing debates, which I'm not really qualified for. My original plan was to go the clean room route using the specification pdfs that one of the other developers had pointed me to, since the concensus seems that that is a totally safe legal route. That said, I am all for dividing the work up into tasks to make it smaller chucks for anyone interested. I'd appreciate suggestions on how to go about this, since as I've said before this is my first time volunteering for work on free software.

Thanks,
Brian

Meskauskas Audrius wrote:

Hello, colleagues,

My previous project, javax. swing. text. html. parser, is now almost
complete and seems working with HTML 4.01 DTD. Mark is currently reviewing
it. I am looking for the next serious task.

From the Classpath implementation diagrams it seems that one of the most

serious things remaining is CORBA. Among many other areas, CORBA is used in bioinformatics, being closer to me than, for example, the remaining parts of
swing.

I know that Jeff and Brian have planned some work on CORBA Classpath
implementation. However the amount of work is tremendous: 25 packages in
java 1.4. It may be sufficient work for more developers. Maybe it would be
possible to create a CORBA team, divide the tasks and discuss the shared
problems. We need the shared classes first, and then we can just take a
separate package each.

If these two developers agree, I would like to join the CORBA implementation
group.

Regards

Audrius Meskauskas