UrlConnection and images

From: Fawzib Rojas
Subject: UrlConnection and images
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:43:55 -0400

It seems that UrlConnection.getContent() for image/gif should return an ImageProducer object. I guess doing something like...

package gnu.java.net.content.image;

import java.net.ContentHandler;
import javax.imageio.ImageIO;

public class gif extends ContentHandler{
 public Object getContent(URLConnection urlc) throws IOException{
   return ImageIO.read(urlc.getInputStream()).getSource();
 }
}

...might work. I guess there is more to it than this? It seems too simple to be missing. Are the ImageIO classes working? I'm trying to use Apache FOP and it fails because of this. I tried to compile classpath myself but I havent been able to. Can anyone check it out?