Re: benchmarks (was Re: Progress on a Classpath mauve suite?)

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: benchmarks (was Re: Progress on a Classpath mauve suite?)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:41:48 +0100

Archie Cobbs wrote:
Stephen Crawley wrote:

I agree that academic credit is very important. Again, I belive that to be a part of proper academic conduct, rather than something that needs to be explicitely enforced in a software license.

Hah.. so why do we need the GPL? Isn't sharing your modifications
with the world a natural consequence of good software conduct? :-) :-)

s/world/recepients of modified works/g and I agree. :)

We need the GPL because many developers in the past chose to not allow sharing of your modifications of their works, so the GPL serves as a tool to carve out a free hacking space without that restriction. I blame it on poor education of many developers in the past in 'good software development conduct', but all the talk about Open Source, Free Software and all that will hopefully fix it :)

cheers,
dalibor topic