RE: Unstructured locking bug

From: David Holmes
Subject: RE: Unstructured locking bug
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:11:42 +1000

Bryce wrote:
> Certainly, bytecode isn't allowed to do this kind of thing, but I'm not
> sure if the structured locking rules in the VM spec are meant to apply
> to native code. For example, wait() would be impossible to implement if
> this were the case, wouldn't it?

I think the rules are meat to apply to bytecode and JNI, otherwise they
could be trivially circumvented.

wait() is part of the JVM and I would not expect it to use JNI internally.

Unfortunately the JNI spec says nothing about this. I'm not aware of
anything in the JVMS 3e that addresses this either.

Cheers,
David Holmes