Re: GNU Classpath 0.14 released

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: GNU Classpath 0.14 released
Date: 17 Mar 2005 16:18:41 -0700

>>>>> "Etienne" == Etienne Gagnon <address@hidden> writes:

Etienne> As usual, Mark has forgotten to include SableVM in the list
Etienne> of runtimes that use GNU Classpath.  It is understandable, I
Etienne> guess, as he does not use SableVM for development, and he is
Etienne> not willing to accept our patches without copyright
Etienne> assignment.

Just to be perfectly clear, this is not solely Mark's doing.  It is
not atypical of GNU projects in general.  For instance, GCC and gdb
have the same policy.

Etienne> PS: I guess Mark's bias is understandable, as he is a
Etienne> developer of GCC and he probably views SableVM as a competing
Etienne> project.

How strange that you think this.  Mark has written libgcj-specific
patches, but I'd imagine he has patched other VMs as well.  I don't
know what he thinks about this, but I usually consider him a Classpath
developer first.  In fact he often chides us on #gcj for not merging
more fully with Classpath and for foolishly preserving those
"micro-optimizations [we] are proud of".

As for competition, as I see it, that is your view which you are
projecting on Mark.  I'm certain it isn't his, as Mark often extols
the benefits of having multiple Classpath-using VMs available.  (And,
in case it matters, it isn't my view either.)

Tom