Re: GNU Classpath 0.14 released

From: Etienne Gagnon
Subject: Re: GNU Classpath 0.14 released
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:56:52 -0500

Tom,

You are avoiding the discussion on the main issue: the missing reference
to SableVM in the release announcement.  As far as I can see: GCC/GCJ,
Kaffe, JamVM, Jikes RVM, and Kissme are included, but not SableVM.

*If* the argument to not include SableVM is that a VM must run directly
using Classpath CVS, then it is incorrect.  SableVM does work
out-of-the-box with GNU Classpath, using the -Xbootclasspath:/pa/th
option and an override .jar (which is a relatively similar setting to
other VMs directly using Classpath).  Actually, GCC would not qualify as
a pure Classpath user, as it uses libgcj, which is a derivative of
Classpath (much similarly to sablevm-classpath).

*If* the argument is that SableVM developers do not contribute to GNU
Classpath, then again, it is not true.  For one thing, Classpath does
contain code that I have contributed, and as far as I know, other
SableVM developers/contributors have signed the FSF paperwork to
contribute to GNU Classpath.

*If* the argument is political, it would be interesting to hear from GNU
Classpath management.

Etienne