Re: GNU Classpath 0.14 released

From: Grzegorz B. Prokopski
Subject: Re: GNU Classpath 0.14 released
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:26:24 -0500

On Fri, 2005-18-03 at 09:56 +0100, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 17 March 2005 19:30, Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> > As usual, Mark has forgotten to include SableVM in the list of runtimes
> > that use GNU Classpath.  It is understandable, I guess, as he does not
> > use SableVM for development, and he is not willing to accept our patches
> > without copyright assignment.  Nonetheless, SableVM does use GNU
> > Classpath and its team does contribute to finding and fixing bugs in GNU
> > Classpath.
>
> Etienne;
> I asked mark if he could make sure the announcements were made in such a way
> that newbees could get started right away.  The obvious problem that
> classpath is useless without a VM has promted him to include the most easy
> to use and or well known ones to include in the announcement.
> A move I applaud.

Could you please tell in what way are JamVM, Kissme and JikesRVM easier
to use with GNU Classpath than SableVM?

For reference please see:
     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2004-11/msg00089.html

Also, it seems you're saing that SableVM might not be "well known".
Please see these vote results where SableVM is the 4th most popular JVM:
     http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2004/03/msg00155.html

You can also consult up-to-date Debian popularity contest pages at
     http://popcon.debian.org/main/by_recent
and you'll see

name                       installed  vote   old recent
kaffe-common                     765   221   264   262
gcj-3.3                          716   129   294   293
sablevm                          329    94   195    40
jamvm                             97    25    38    34
ikvm                              24    10     1    13
kissme                            19     8    11     0

If you have other statistics, I'll be glad to see them.

Based on the above however it is not possible to say that SableVM is
not a "well known" JVM.  This leaves us with technical reasons for
not including SableVM in the list.

You all rule out possibility of political reasons, so I want to believe
you.

Therefore I want to know what are the requirements for the inclusion in
the announcement that SableVM does not meet?

Cheers to all,

                                Grzegorz B. Prokopski

--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski           <address@hidden>