Re: GNU Classpath 0.14 released

From: Chris Pickett
Subject: Re: GNU Classpath 0.14 released
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:40:52 -0500

Mark Wielaard wrote:
On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 16:18 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

"Etienne" == Etienne Gagnon <address@hidden> writes:

Etienne> As usual, Mark has forgotten to include SableVM in the list
Etienne> of runtimes that use GNU Classpath.  It is understandable, I
Etienne> guess, as he does not use SableVM for development

 But you just announced a
new sablevm that used a forked sablevm-classpath CVS snapshot on our
list an hour before and when I talked to you on irc about using sablevm
against official GNU Classpath releases you said it didn't support this
release out of the box and that there was no documentation for it.

I think that's fair justification for not including SableVM this time.

Since it was observed that this should have been 0.15 and not 0.14, how about this: give SableVM a chance to work with GNU Classpath 0.15 out of the box (i.e. with no extra command-line arguments, or perhaps with a simple argument like "--official-gnu-classpath"), and when it's ready, redo the announcement for 0.15.

Is that something that everyone can live with? Or are there problems with my suggestion? From what I can tell, it seems like a reasonable compromise between the major sticking points here, namely that Etienne wants SableVM to keep up to date with Classpath CVS snapshots and that Mark wants to encourage VM's to support official Classpath releases out-of-the-box and moreover to document that support.

I think that's a fairly minor amount of work for all parties (especially since SableVM 1.11 already works with 0.14(== 0.15) if an extra argument is specified and a Classpath release is installed somewhere), and if it's something that will improve SableVM--Classpath relations, then it also seems to be worth pursuing.

Cheers,
Chris