NIO charsets attacked by gang of rabid platypi

From: Sven de Marothy
Subject: NIO charsets attacked by gang of rabid platypi
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:00:01 +0200

Hello,
Ok, now that I hopefully got your attention with the subject line,
I'd like everyone's opinion on whether it's OK yet to get rid of the
now-unused gnu.java.io character encoding/decoding stuff?

Also, I'd like to know which NIO charset provider is preferred, now that
we have two in CVS. (pure java and iconv-based) They complement
eachother pretty well, iconv being somewhat faster in the actual
conversion, but with more overhead for invocation (=slower on short
strings, faster on long ones).

Should we allow this to be set as a compile option, as a system
property, or just use both (in which order, in that case?).
Note that multiple providers are already supported (you can have
user-provided charset converters registered with
"META-INF/services/java.nio.charset.spi.CharsetProvider".

/Sven