Re: NIO charsets attacked by gang of rabid platypi

From: Ito Kazumitsu
Subject: Re: NIO charsets attacked by gang of rabid platypi
Date: 19 Apr 2005 22:32:42 -0000

In message "NIO charsets attacked by gang of rabid platypi"
    on 05/04/19, Sven de Marothy <address@hidden> writes:

:> Also, I'd like to know which NIO charset provider is preferred, now that
:> we have two in CVS. (pure java and iconv-based) They complement
:> eachother pretty well, iconv being somewhat faster in the actual
:> conversion, but with more overhead for invocation (=slower on short
:> strings, faster on long ones).

As a speaker of the Japanese language, I would like Japanese encodings
to be usable by default, which is the case of Sun's implementation.
In order that CJK encodings can be used with GNU Classpath, I think
iconv is inevitable: supporting them with pure Java is far from being
practical.