Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project

From: Anthony Green
Subject: Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:38:39 -0700

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 16:44 -0400, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> I propose that we build Jessie directly into glibj.zip.  Having Jessie
> present by default would be convenient both for GNU Classpath developers
> and also for packagers.

I've spent the past few days dealing with US export control issues.  Let
me tell you something: it's a huge pain.  Sorry for being so US centric
(even though I'm Canadian) but I think we should consider US export
control regulations carefully.  See:

http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/PubAvailEncSourceCodeNofify.html

Among other things, I'm worried about the implications this will have
for GCC.   Putting Jessie in GCC via GNU Classpath will have
implications for all GCC mirrors and distributors.  It could potentially
cause delays in rolling out GCC release (my understanding is that it can
take 4+ weeks to get the right authorizations in place).  Keeping Jessie
as a separate module might be convenient from this perspective.

Does the FSF have an opinion on this?

I'm still talking to Red Hat legal about this.  I'll report back as soon
as I get a real opinion from them (FWIW).

AG