Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:53:01 +0200

Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:

I would argue that in general, Classpath's policy should be to include
anything that's in Sun's SDK by default.   For things like image and
protocol providers I think we should strive to include more than Sun by
default.  For example, as both a Classpath developer and end-user, I'd
much rather have the ability to read and write any image format by
default.  I don't want to have to search around for external plugins to
build and install.

+ 1.

Merging the missing bits and pieces of the APIs into GNU Classpath, makes sense, and has been done before (GNU regex, GNU JAXP, GNU Crypto bits and pieces, fdlibm), and should be continued to be done, in my opinion (Jessie, Tritonus, JacORB, JOnAS'/JBoss JMX implementation, ...).

I've been doing that sort of integration in Kaffe, and it's not necessarily always trivial. Nor is it always just a little bit of work. So an attempt to unify upstreams gets a +1 from me, as that's one less upstream for me (and others, say packagers) to keep track with.

cheers,
dalibor topic