Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Proposal: merge Jessie as an external project
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 01:05:43 +0200

Archie Cobbs wrote:

However it doesn't make as much sense from the developer's point of
view. Classpath developers (I assume) want to focus on Classpath, not
on maintaining Makefiles and 3rd party code build integration. Not to
mention that some users of Classpath don't want all the extra junk,
e.g., people targeting embedded systems.

In Kaffe, there is a very simple, but effective way to tell the compiler which files belong into a class library 'profile' by simply listing all the source files in a flat file. If you want to build kaffe with just, say, the transitive closure of java.lang.Object, you can easily strip out all the junk, by just leaving java.lang.Object in the profile file, and having a greedy java compiler (like jikes) do the transitive closure resolution for you (modulo reflection ;) and pulling in and compiling all the dependencies in the same run.

I guess if GNU Classpath was easily subsettable, the extra junk wouldn't have to be a problem for people targetting embedded systems.

cheers,
dalibor topic