Re: Cleaning up Savannah (a bit)

From: Sven de Marothy
Subject: Re: Cleaning up Savannah (a bit)
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:43:33 +0200

Thomas Zander <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wednesday 1 June 2005 05:56, Sven de Marothy wrote:
> > I'd like to clean it up a bit and close all bugs and patches prior to
> > Jan 1, 2005, since they're probably not relevant nor followed anymore.
> > Anyone against?
>
> Yeah me, although I don't have any classpath background this solution seems
> a good way to alienate bugreporters.

Thomas,
I miswrote, this wasn't as much about the bugs tracker as the patches
and tasks list. (which have the most 'dead wood' in them, (e.g. apart
from Audrius' recent additions, the task list is mostly from 2002)

Obviously we should not and will not get rid of any bugs which are still
open, and confirmed. (Although some bugs, like #3207 are a bit
questionable)

> What about people actually start using the bugdatabase. So when I add
> comment to a bug I reported that it can be closed, it will be closed by
> someone who has the rights.
> Next to that; that people stop shouting they want bugreports and when I give
> them that nothing is done with most of them.

Well, first off the Savannah bug database is due be completely moved
soon to a common gcj/classpath bugzilla database. Perhaps you can get
rights there (I don't know how that works with Bugzilla. Or savannah).

A comment to an unassigned bug can easily be missed. Could you tell us
which bugs you want closed?

> Next to that; that people stop shouting they want bugreports and when I give
> them that nothing is done with most of them.

Well, it's sad you feel that way. But this is, after all, a free
software project, where you never get guarantees things will get fixed
unless you do it yourself. It depends on the nature of the bug and the
report too.

/Sven