Swing question

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Swing question
Date: 04 Jun 2005 11:56:22 -0600

Sorry, my fingers slipped and that last message went out early...

I was looking through the JAPI results for Swing and came across this
oddity:

class javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicInternalFrameTitlePane.TitlePaneLayout:
public in jdk14, but protected in classpath

Suns' javadoc says this:

    This inner class is marked "public" due to a compiler bug. This class
    should be treated as a "protected" inner class.

So, what should we do?

For source compatibility we ought to mark these classes public and add
an @specnote to the javadoc.

Another idea would be to mark this protected and try to get users, if
there are any, to change their code if they run into this problem.
I'm less inclined to go this route as it is not really compatible.

IMO whatever we decide requires documentation in the source.

Comments?

Tom