Does J2SDK 5.0 BCL preclude contributions to Classpath?

From: Matt Van Gundy
Subject: Does J2SDK 5.0 BCL preclude contributions to Classpath?
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:38:05 -0700 (PDT)

Classpath developers,

In an attempt to upgrade my the JVM on my development box to Sun's latest
release I was perusing the new version of the BCL and noticed that the
"Java Technology Restrictions" section had changed from previous BCLs.
I quote it for reference:

> D. Java Technology Restrictions.  You may not create,
> modify, or change the behavior of, or authorize your
> licensees to create, modify, or change the behavior of,
> classes, interfaces, or subpackages that are in any way
> identified as "java", "javax", "sun" or similar convention
> as specified by Sun in any naming convention designation.

Previous versions of the license that I have accepted prohibited creating
additions to the java, javax, and swing namespaces which I have always
interpreted as, we are not allowed to change the behavior of the standard
API.  However, it appears that the current license is trying to restrict
the ability to create any class so named.

My burning question is, does acceptance of this license effectively
preclude a developer from participating in cleanroom efforts such as
Classpath?  Or, am I missing something?  I searched your website, as well
of that of Kaffe and Blackdown for commentary and failed to find anything
that appeared to be relevant.

Thanks for your time,
Matt Van Gundy