RE: Jessie, enums, and loggers

From: Jeroen Frijters
Subject: RE: Jessie, enums, and loggers
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:52:53 +0200

Casey Marshall wrote:
> [...] I think it should be possible to
> make a mostly-binary-compatible enum class for pre-1.5 Java, but
> wouldn't mind some advice if someone is more familiar with this.

I've been thinking about this too (and other 1.5 classes), but so far I
haven't reached any conclusion. I agree that it should be possible to
create 1.4 classes that are binary compatible with the new 1.5 classes
and for some scenarios (like the one you describe) this would certainly
be helpful. Given that it will be a while before gjcx will be available
(and mainstream), the pressure on including 1.5 features the main branch
will increase. The issue is whether having only binary compatibility (as
opposed to also having source compatibility) is enough to justify adding
these classes, I tend to think so, but like I said, I'm not completely
sure yet.

Regards,
Jeroen