RE: Corba & Licensing questions Note1 = Note 2.

From: Meskauskas Audrius
Subject: RE: Corba & Licensing questions Note1 = Note 2.
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 21:22:18 +0200

I have joined the team only recently and did not participate in discussions, related to the Classpath license. Of course, it was possible to choose GPL or LGPL. At some step, a decission was accepted to use the existing license. I hope, there were serious reasons for that. Also, I hope, there were some serious reasons to raise the requirement of transferring the rights to the Free Software Foundation.

JackORB exists for a comparatively long time, but during this time, it has never been contributed to Classpath. The JackORB licence has never been changed into Classpath license, and the copyright has never been transferred to FSF. As a result, I have not had a possibility to reuse the JackORB code and reimplemented my own.

This is true not just for the public classes in omg.org.CORBA and related, but also for the WORKING CORE CLASSES in gnu.CORBA package. These classes are now - sorry - more or less complete for the version 1.2. The code is of course not mature, but it is covered by multiple tests from the former CORBA open source testing package, cost.omg.org. Classpath CORBA is fully interoperable with Suns implementation 1.2. And, as a side effect of the required compatibility, you can use the Sun 1.3 IDL compiler before somebody will write or adapth a Free one. Under such circumstances, I see no reason of using any part of JackORB under its present license a least for the 1.2 and 1.3 releases.

Audrius Meskauskas, Lithuania.