Re: Anon cvs broken?

From: Thomas Zander
Subject: Re: Anon cvs broken?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:40:57 +0200

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 04:04:39PM +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 13:45 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> > CVS supports modules, so
> > that it's possible to check out a subset of a tree, and this is very
> > useful.  When you do "cvs update", it does not check out every module,
> > just the directories you already checked out.

Naturally, most CVS users use -l for that rare occasion and have the
proposed -d as default in their .cvsrc

> Wow. A whole new world opens.
> http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#The%20modules%20File
> https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.20/cvs_18.html#SEC159
>
> Powerful. But this means my intuitive (simplistic) view of a cvs module
> as a simple tree of directories under one name (where modulename ==
> directory name) is completely destroyed.

Its indeed quite usefull if you have many modules and want to share
between them.

> (Un)fortunately I don't believe most public CVS repositories (like the
> savannah system) let you arbitrarily change the files in the CVSROOT.

Sourceforge allows you to do this.
I always setup several things like emailing and acls to disallow just anyone
to create branches or tags, for example.

> The savannah-hackers are pretty flexible though. So if someone thinks we
> can/must/want to take advantage of any of this module system then we can
> certainly ask.

Modules are only usefull if you have various modules already; I was under
the impression that classpath does not have that.
The most obvious example of such a use is to move autogen and friends to
such a module and let others share that module.

--
Thomas Zander