Re: New bug-classpath mailinglist

From: Andrew John Hughes
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:40:52 +0100

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 17:26 +0100, Robert Lougher wrote:
> On 6/19/05, Robert Lougher <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 6/19/05, Andrew John Hughes <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > On this note, I do have some Findbugs runs available on-line:
> > >
> > > http://fuseyism.com/japi/classpath.html
> > > http://fuseyism.com/japi/classpath-generics.html
> > >
> > > The first is pretty far out of date now (mid-April, e.g. it still
> > > includes our dead locale classes) and the second, while apparently
> > > up-to-date, may not actually be checking against an updated checkout.
> > > This is because these aren't actually run on any of my local machines at
> > > present, as I haven't been able to get a reliable run out of my attempts
> > > with JamVM+Classpath.
> >
> > Could you elaborate what the problems are?  Thanks.
> >

> If there is a problem with JamVM I wish to know about it so that I can
> fix it.  I can't fix problems if nobody provides any feedback.
>
> Rob.
>
> > Rob.
> >
> > > Andrew :-)

Sorry, I didn't mean it as a dig at JamVM and believed I had already
mentioned this on list earlier.  The problems I had (early this year --
as I say, I haven't had chance to try again yet) were related to firstly
missing methods in Classpath (java.nio constructors for the input and
output streams being used, something I believe is now fixed) and then
memory problems with JamVM.   It isn't so much a problem with JamVM, as
the amount of memory used.  findbugs uses a lot of memory, and JamVM, I
guess, doesn't garbage-collect it efficiently enough to avoid running
out (a problem I've also seen with one of my own applications).  I
repeatedly scaled up the memory given to JamVM, but failed to get a
successful run of it with Classpath without running out.  At 512mb, it
caused a kernel OOM.  It does work with smaller projects; it's a problem
with large projects like Classpath, which has a huge number of classes
(and even more now).
--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint)
attachments.

No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

public class gcj extends Freedom implements Java { ... }