Re: VM resource loading bug

From: David Lichteblau
Subject: Re: VM resource loading bug
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:33:33 +0200

Hi,

Quoting S. Meslin-Weber (address@hidden):
> ---- previous jamvm bug report ----
> I have code that uses getClass().getResourceAsStream(name) in the
> bootclasspath (the named file exists). The bug causes classpath to try
> using the ftp provider to open the stream :)

this may apply to neither JamVM nor to SableVM, but since the failure
mode might be similar:

As discussed on #classpath, the reference implementation of
VMClassLoader.getResources() returns "candidate" resource URLs without
verifying their existence.  ClassLoader.getResourceAsStream() then tries
to open them (and at least catch the resulting IOException), while
ClassLoader.getResource() will return the bogus resource URL to user
code directly.

Mark mentioned other known problems with VMClassLoader.getResources().

d.