Next snapshot release (Thursday) and gtk+/cairo library versions

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Next snapshot release (Thursday) and gtk+/cairo library versions
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:51:42 +0200

Hi all,

I wanted to create a new GNU Classpath developer snapshot (0.16) on
Thursday. Or Friday if we find real showstoppers on Thursday, but I
believe we are doing fine. So please be a bit more conservative about
committing big changes. The development pace is very good at the moment
though, so I don't want to stop for too long. Just ask on Thursday
before committing big things.

After some trouble getting the right gtk+ and cairo dependencies we seem
to have settled on gtk+ 2.4 as the version that 0.16 should be able to
compile against --enable-gtk-peer (the default) and cairo (0.5.1) for
when --enable-gtk-cairo is set (not enabled by default). I don't have a
2.4 box at the moment, but I will make sure to test against one before
the release (Thomas might need one or two fixes to make this happen).
After 0.16 we might want to move to 2.6. For --enable-gtk-cairo we don't
need the development gtk+ 2.7 anymore (thanks Ziga!). We will follow the
cairo developer snapshot releases in the future.

If you have written cool new stuff for GNU Classpath since 0.15 make
sure to add a note to the NEWS file (bonus points if you add something
to show it off to GNU Classpath Examples). Certainly the work of Audrius
on corba/omg should be mentioned. The recent improvements in Free Swing
by Roman, Tony and Lillian. The GtkImage rewrite by Sven. And although
the jdwp stuff isn't finished yet it would be nice to have a little text
about it to ask for feedback. Even though we only produce Developer
Snapshots they do get a lot of attention, so we should make sure to
mention anything that we would like some feedback on (or that we are
just proud about).