Re: New volunteer needing task

From: David Gilbert
Subject: Re: New volunteer needing task
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:17:18 +0000

Hi Dimitri,

Someone submitted some Mauve tests for javax.imageio that checks the PNG
image test suite:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/mauve-patches/2005/msg00052.html

They haven't been integrated into Mauve yet, but probably should be.
GNU Classpath doesn't have an imageio plugin to read/write PNG images
yet (as far as I know), that would probably be achievable in 200 hours
(you could just do the reading part if you run out of time).  A good
thing about this is there are good specs for the PNG format and ImageIO
framework around.

Another useful project would be some code (or a script) to run Mauve on
two different API implementations, and generate a report of the
differences.  I have some code that generates an HTML report from one
run, and have been meaning to work on something that would generate a
similar report comparing two runs.  This would help with regression
testing when submitting patches to GNU Classpath.  That also should be
achievable in 200 hours (perhaps less, but you could spend the rest of
the time on documentation etc.).

No doubt others on the list will have good ideas for you also, but feel
free to contact me if you want further info/help with either of these tasks.

Regards,

Dave Gilbert