Re: 0.17 release Friday (SLOW DOWN!)

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: 0.17 release Friday (SLOW DOWN!)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:09:12 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 13:54 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
> If development is going this fast, then we need to start making
> release branches.  That way we can port specific fixes to the release
> without slowing down general development.

I want everybody to slow down from time to time for a release.
So we all take a step back and look at what we have done.

But if there are people who want volunteer to maintain such release
branches then please speak up!

In this case we probably should have decided to do an immediate 0.17 and
not wait a week, or do a 0.17 after one or two months again so people
didn't have to slow down again. I hadn't expected development to pick up
so quickly after 0.16. We only slow down for a couple of days every two
months. I think that is the best thing to do given the rapid development
that we are currently seeing.