Re: Using GNU Classpath while changing his hierarchy

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Using GNU Classpath while changing his hierarchy
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:28:36 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 14:46 +0200, Jean-Philippe Deblonde wrote:
> In fact, it's a lot more than a simple refactoring, because I need, by
> example, to rewrite the String.java to use an array of bytes (coded
> with UTF-8) instead of an array of char, to save some space for the
> smartcards...

This is what wonka does for internal string representations btw.

> It's only one of the substitutions I need to do, and I need to do them
> automatically, since the developpers getting hands on the whole thing
> will just have to download the new version of the Classpath archive,
> and run a script to merge it with the rest of the project

It is a pain to maintain a forked version. And the best way to make sure
you won't have to is to provide patches to make these things possible
for the runtime to tweak. I am sure others will love to help with that
if you come up with some nice optimization points for the core classes.
Just supply some patches and a reference implementation and we can see
if we can incorporate it in the default build. We make regular releases
(once every 2 months at least).

Thanks,