Re: ClasspathToolkit redesign.

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: ClasspathToolkit redesign.
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:34:10 +0200

Hi,

I'll let Thomas reply with more details since he knows a lot more about
this. But here are some quick references that might help.

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 00:19 +0200, Sven de Marothy wrote:
> Method: getClasspathFontPeer(), getClasspathTextLayoutPeer(), getFont()
> Comment: We need these. No way around that. But they could perhaps be
> put in a seperate ClasspathFontInterface or something.
>
> Method: createFont()
> Comment: Um, we don't even implement this ourselves. Sorry Sacha, but
> there's no point. Right now anyway.

Note that Sascha did make a design and a start of an implementation:
http://www.brawer.ch/software/fonts/

> Method: createEmbeddedWindow ()
> Comment: What's an EmbeddedWindow and why do we need this as part of the
> peer interface?

It is an extension for things like gcjwebplugin. We also briefly
discussed this with the OpenOffice hackers who would also like some way
to create embedded windows (inside documents). See
http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gcjwebplugin/gcjwebplugin/src/gnu/gcjwebplugin/PluginAppletWindow.java?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

> Method: registerImageIOSpis()
> Comment: Unnecessary. The peers can register their SPIs (if they have
> any) themselves without this.

Agreed. Or use the META-INF/services hack.