Looking for SwingUtilities.clipString()

From: Thorsten Suckow-Homberg
Subject: Looking for SwingUtilities.clipString()
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 17:41:23 +0200

Hey there,

I'm currently studying the Classpath-Implementation and I got a question regarding the javax.swing.*-packages:

I couldn't find any mechanism that clips the string based on the width of the parent's container it resists in. I was looking in the BasicLabelUI-class and looked at SwingUtilities.java, but couldn't find anything related. However, the SwingUtilities.layoutCompundLabel()-docBlock tells me
<quote>
[...]
* @return The string of characters, possibly truncated with an elipsis,
* which is laid out in this label
[...]
</quote>
Is support for this missing or am I looking at the wrong place?

Kind regards

Thorsten