Re: Japitools 1.5 support tough design issue

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Re: Japitools 1.5 support tough design issue
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 22:55:41 -0700

From this description it kind of sounds as though JVML (that is, bytecode) defies the kind of static analysis Japitools is trying to do. At least, when you aren't guaranteed to have the entire class tree down to Object.

Maybe it would be a useful tool that took two sets of class files, and compared them for binary compatibility, applying the same semantics that would be used when looking up methods or fields when run in a VM. That is, each available method or field in the base set would be looked up in the target one, to see if it is equivalently accessible. I guess this might produce, uh, interesting results, where Classpath might prove entirely binary compatible, but not source compatible, so you could run binaries against Classpath, but not compile them ;-) (I'm no JVM expert, so I don't know if this is true).

But anyway, it is best to target meaningful compatibility issues, and to do that in a tractable way. So, what does API compatibility mean as far as Classpath is concerned? And what is the best (or easiest) way to test that?