Re: HTTPURLConnection.connect() buffers its entire input.

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: HTTPURLConnection.connect() buffers its entire input.
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:29:13 -0400

On 9/9/05, Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Personally, I think Chris should add a lazy (streaming) interface on
> top. But there is a thread cost.

Is there no way to only call select() when calls are made to the API,
in the thread that makes the call? getInputStream() could return a
stream that calls select() (directly or indirectly) in its available()
and read() methods, getHeader() (if we don't want to get all the
headers up front) could call select() if the header in question is not
yet known, etc.

I'm not really familiar with the nio API (as you can probably tell)
but it seems like this kind of thing should be possible. Wasn't the
whole point of nio to *avoid* the need for "thread-per-connection"
programming?

Stuart.
--
http://sab39.dev.netreach.com/