How does GNU classpath implement char?

From: Alexander Shopov
Subject: How does GNU classpath implement char?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:56:44 +0300

Hi guys,
I was wondering - how does gnu classpath implement char (the primitive value). The Sun Java documentation sasy that char is a 16 bit positive value that has the representation of a character in UTF-16 encoding.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Character.html
(This is about the wrapper class, but it has some info on char as well).

The info for char is here:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/typesValues.html#4.2.1
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/typesValues.html#88061
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/lexical.html#95413

So it seems to me that only BMP characters are representable in char. What should be done (in programming) in order to use characters outside BMP?

Best regards:
al_shopov