Re: HTTPURLConnection.connect() buffers its entire input.

From: Stephen Crawley
Subject: Re: HTTPURLConnection.connect() buffers its entire input.
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:42:31 +1000

Chris Burdess wrote:

It does have the same support, and more. It just does things slightly differently. There isn't anything in the specification of HttpURLConnection that states that it supports resources of arbitrary length.

Nor is there anything in the specification that says that HttpURLConnection should allow me to access "http://www.microsoft.com";. But that doesn't mean that it would be reasonable for a (supposedly) standard implementation to forbid this. [I know this is a stupid example. I'm simply trying to point our that your
stated reason is specious.]

For resources of ordinary length, the inetlib-based implementation can significantly outperform Sun's implementation.

Define "ordinary".

Actually, the only argument that matters here is whether people develop applications that rely on the Sun behaviour. The answer is that they do. And for them, the current behaviour of Classpath's HttpURLConnection would be broken
... if they tries to port to a Classpath-based VM.

-- Steve