Re: Differences to Java

From: Roman Kennke
Subject: Re: Differences to Java
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:10:30 +0200

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 24.09.2005, 16:45 +0000 schrieb theUser BL:
> Hi!
>
> Look at my comment at
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=1510&tstart=0
>
> It seems, that GNU Classpath handles the layout different to Suns Java.
>
> The GNU version makes more sense for me. But I am not sure, if Suns version
> is that, how it is written in the standardization (one of Suns books).

Now that is interesting. At first sight I would also think that we do
better here, but I am also not sure about this. I _know_ that our
BoxLayout is a little buggy, especially with respect to the layout on
the minor axis (that is, if the BoxLayout is along the Y_AXIS, this is
the major axis, and how the components are laid out in the X_AXIS, this
is the minor axis, which is the problem we have here).

Also the constants you use here might be a little misleading, read the
API docs to getAlignmentX():

<<<
This specifies how the component would like to be aligned relative to
other components. The value should be a number between 0 and 1 where 0
represents alignment along the origin, 1 is aligned the furthest away
from the origin, 0.5 is centered, etc.

So maybe Sun has some other interpretation of origin here? There is at
least one other property that influences the origin, this is the
componentOrientation. If that is right-to-left, then the orgin is on the
right side for sure.

> So, is the bug in GNU Classpath or in Suns Java?

I don't know to be honest.

/Roman